Our walk from Marlborough, Wiltshire - to - Lyme Regis, Dorset

137 miles of rural countryside along the Wessex Ridgeway Path



Wednesday, May 26, 2010

We Did It!


He Said:
To the sea at last!
Many people have walked here before us, but our own journey is now complete after the last 8 mile day of walking to Lyme Regis from Lambert's Castle near Hawkchurch. Our feet held up, and we kept to our schedule. It helped that is was all set up and paid for in advance, so we had to make it to each day's end. Now, in the end, we walked well over 137 miles with the side trips, and wrong turns. Oddly, I gained some weight during the trip, despite walking every day. So, it was a good thing I did walk and didn't eat more jam on toast. Also, I would say that 13 days in a row of having a ham sandwich for lunch was getting rather old. Today, we really like the path, unlike yesterday, it's an untended path mostly, not a cricket pitch, but it goes through some great countryside.
Lyme Regis is a resort village with a small harbor. This area is famous for fossil remains from the Jurassic period. Tomorrow, we take a train to Hastings.

She said:
We finished our Wessex Ridgeway walk today - hooray for us! The weather was perfect and we had just about every manner of good thing on today's final journey - blue skies, cool temps, beautiful farm fields, lush pastures, country lanes, full bloom bluebells and wild garlic, friendly cows, gorgeous vistas, delicious packed lunches, happy feet and an outstanding B+B with views to the sea at the end town of Lyme Regis.
Though it was tough, tough, tough for me, I am feeling very proud of myself. I am full of fresh air and clear thinking. I have learned the ways and the history of the Wiltshire and Dorset countryside. I feel fit. I love my husband.
Brilliant.
EB

May 26 Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment